I almost never make New Year’s resolutions but this one seemed like it would be fun and help me work on my TV addiction. Basically, it sums up as “see live music at least once a week”. Living in Chicago, there are enough venues and options that should make this doable. Heck, I generally try to do this anyway but find myself begging off on evenings when “I’m too tired” or “I don’t feel like schlepping down there”. Making it a resolution will hopefully help me overcome my innate lameness.
Anyone who knows me is aware of my fondness for Frank Turner (I’ve seen him 20 times so far and already have my ticket for number 21 at the beginning of this quest). What you may not know is that Frank tours tirelessly and keeps a log of all his shows—he recently played #2000. Anyway, as part of this log he has his own ground rules for what constitutes a countable show*:
- There must be at least 20 people at the show
- At least four songs must be performed
Sound good to me. Here are my criteria for my resolution:
- The venue must hold at least 20 people
- I must be present for either the first or last song of the set
- I must be present for at least four songs
- I must blog within one week of the show, or it didn’t happen
Wish me luck!